Hello and welcome to the 55th episode of the Blind Tiger Podcast recorded on May 27th, 2015. In this episode Mike, Jesse, and I gathered on Jesse's sizable back deck to enjoy the new summer nights with a bit of beer and dreams of a sizable BBQ.
We celebrate a man who wrote a heartfelt letter to his favorite brewery thanking them for having saved his life. Apparently beer can be heroic! We discuss the growing cottage industry that has popped up around the world of craft beer. As craft beer has grown exponentially so has art, music, technology, and everything else that supports a love of craft beer.
We spend some time talk about perhaps the 17 most sought after beers in America. How many have we collectively enjoyed, are they worth all the fuss, and is their exclusivity intentional? How many of these beers have you had?
We also play a twist on marry, f&*k, kill with beer. And it is a surprisingly exciting and difficult game to play.
But before all that we sat down to celebrate BBQ season with this week's opening question: What would be your ideal BBQ & Beer setup and why?
- Man writes heartfelt letter claiming beer saved his life
- Those Who Can, Brew & Those that Can’t Get Rich Anyway
- If you are a woman, drink beer for your health!
- Swedish brewing changing the way we think of craft beer
Point / Counterpoint: America’s 17 Most Sought After Beers
- Dave (Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.)
- Dark Lord (Three Floyds Brewing Co.)
- Pliny the Younger (Russian River Brewing Co.)
- Black Tuesday (The Bruery)
- Barrel-Aged Abraxas (Perennial Artisan Ales)
- Dinner (Maine Beer Co.)
- Hunahpu's Imperial Stout (Cigar City Brewing Co.)
- Kentucky Breakfast Stout (Founders Brewing Co.)
- 120 Minute IPA (Dogfish Head Brewery)
- Hopslam (Bell's Brewery)
- Sexual Chocolate (Foothills Brewing Co.)
- Parabola (Firestone Walker Brewing Co.)
- King Sue (Topping Goliath Brewing Co.)
- Heady Topper (The Alchemist)
- Utopias (Samuel Adams)
- Nugget Nectar (Troëgs Brewing Co.)
- Bourbon County Series (Goose Island Brewery)
A Man Walks Into a Store
- Heady Topper, KBS, Hopslam
- Summer Love, Lancaster Kolsch, Bitter American
- Budweiser, Corona, Old Milwaukee
- Stroh’s, Genesee, Straub
- Yards Brawler, Victory Geuze, Tröegenator
- Ommegang’s Hennepin, Dreamweaver Wheat, Aprihop
- Pumking, Mad Elf, Blue Moon
- Mixer Horny Goat, One Year old Titan, A half keg of Wacker
Beer vs Beer: BBBQ Edition
Mike's Choice: Unita's Hop Nosh
Rob's Choice: Abita's Purple Haze